Endovascular treatment for carotid artery stenosis after neck irradiation. - Université Jean-Monnet-Saint-Étienne Access content directly
Journal Articles Journal of Vascular Surgery Year : 2008

Endovascular treatment for carotid artery stenosis after neck irradiation.


BACKGROUND: To lower the risk of complications, carotid angioplasty and stenting (CAS) has been proposed as an alternative to open surgery for carotid artery stenosis after neck irradiation. However, there are little postoperative data to support the benefits of this strategy. This study evaluated the outcome of CAS in patients who had undergone neck irradiation. METHODS: This retrospective study was conducted at 15 vascular surgery or interventional radiology centers in France between January 1998 and July 2006. A total of 135 patients (115 men) with a mean age of 67 +/- 8 years (range, 43-88) underwent CAS for 149 irradiation-induced lesions. The interval between irradiation and discovery of the lesions was 12 +/- 8 years. Mean diameter reduction was 81% (range, 50%-95%), and stenosis was symptomatic in 34%. Contralateral carotid lesions were observed in 48% of patients, including thrombosis in 18 and stenosis >50% in 53. RESULTS: Technical failure occurred during CAS in three cases. The overall technical success rate was 98%. A cerebral protection device was used in 59%. No death, one transient ischemic attack, and two strokes occurred during the first postoperative month. Mean follow-up was 30 months. Six patients were lost to follow-up. Survival rates were 93.9% at 1 year and 75.3% at 3 years. Complications after the first postoperative month included neurologic events in six, carotid thrombosis in nine, and restenosis in 18. The rates of freedom from neurologic and anatomic events were, respectively, 96.2% and 93.2% at 1 year and 93.1% and 85.9% at 3 years. CONCLUSION: The immediate outcome of CAS for irradiation-induced carotid artery stenosis was satisfactory. Medium-term neurologic outcome was acceptable, but the incidence of anatomic events such as thrombosis and restenosis was high. A randomized study is needed to confirm that the outcome of the endovascular and surgical therapy is comparable in this indication.



Dates and versions

ujm-00440362 , version 1 (10-12-2009)



Jean-Pierre Favre, Alice Nourissat, Ambroise Duprey, Ghislain Nourissat, Jean Noël Albertini, et al.. Endovascular treatment for carotid artery stenosis after neck irradiation.. Journal of Vascular Surgery, 2008, 48 (4), pp.852-8. ⟨10.1016/j.jvs.2008.05.069⟩. ⟨ujm-00440362⟩
45 View
0 Download



Gmail Mastodon Facebook X LinkedIn More